Saturday 6 October 2012

Glimpses of my trip to Uzbekistan

In May, this year me and my mum went on a trip to the ancient land of Uzbekistan. What was unique about the trip was that there were no males in the group at all. We were a motley crew of about 16 women from different parts of India all brought together by the all women travel company, WOW Club -Women on Wanderlust. We met for the first time at the Delhi airport before boarding the flight to Tashkent and after a week when it was time to say goodbye, felt like we had known each forever!..

Why did I choose Uzbekistan? I love visiting places of history and there can be no other place as old and culturally rich as Uzbekistan..the land is steeped in history. Alexander conquered it in 327 BC, Genghis Khan in the 13th century and Timur ruled during the 14th century. This is also the birthplace of Babur, who later came over to India to establish the Mughal empire. I've always wanted to visit this magical land so when WOW came up with it's first ever trip to Uzbekistan, I immediately went ahead and booked two places. 

The first city we visited was Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan. Next, we went to Samarkhand and then to Bukhara, two of the oldest cities in the world. 

Here's presenting a glimpse of Uzbekistan...

He is found everywhere....the Uzbek Santa :P

Timur Lame the Great, Statue at Tashkent 

Staple food of the Uzbeks - Flat Bread

Belly Dancers at work 

The tomb of Amir Temur, Samarkhand

Exquisite carvings inside the tomb 

The regal Registan Square at Samarkhand

Inside the Shahi Zinda complex, Samarkhand

Shahi Zinda complex

Breathtaking Ceramic work 

Used to be the Emir of Bukhara's residence

Ceramic Plates 

Weaving the famous Bukhara carpet

Mullah Nasiruddin..remember his stories?

Ya this tree is really that old!

Look what I found...a restaurant named after me in Bukhara!!

A 12th Century Hammam

So Pretty!

Fresh faced beauties.....I want their skin!
Hopefully through these pictures I've been able to showcase to you the beautiful country of Uzbekistan. The people are one of the friendliest I've ever met and they are crazy over Bollywood films and film stars. Shahrukh Khan is the badshah there as well! This has been one my most memorable trips till date and I'll always cherish the moments spent there. Do visit this place if you can. It's lovely!

Let me know what you think of the pics. Would you want to visit Uzbekistan?


22 comments:

seraphicgirl said...

This place looks sooo pretty! And Dolon restaurant! Hahaha, once upon a time even i found a restaurant which was my namesake-my pet-name-sake (????!!!) Anyways it was called 'Shinga'!
I don't think I've ever come across anyone who has been to Uzbekistan! Damn, so weird to think of it!!!

All.things.pretty said...

Lovely pictures! Seems like a beautiful place!

Unknown said...

Lovely pics Dolan.

Unknown said...

Lovely pics Dolan.

Tanveer Parmar Gupta said...

Wow! It seems like you had a really fun time there.. and the women r so pretty - such flawless skin :)

Lancy said...

Nice clicks Dolon :) Hope you enjoyed your trip!

Aparajita said...

Looks like you had a great time Dolon...
I have heard about WOW but never really came across any one who had gone on a trip organized by them...how were their arrangements btw?

Shanaya said...

This is such a gr8 post girl. Lovely pictures , so so refreshing :D
xoxo <3

http://littlemisssinner.blogspot.in/

Poutpretty said...

Thanks babe:)...me needed something different too:))

Preetha Karthik said...

great pics dolon..i wanna go ther now

poorna banerjee said...

such great pics... and virtually everyone has great skin. I WANT great skin. :(

Poutpretty said...

I want too!!..the women there are gorgeous..everyone looks like supermodels

Poutpretty said...

Plan a trip Pree..its a lovely place :)

Poutpretty said...

Really good..everything was taken care of and we had a whale of a time

Poutpretty said...

Thanks Lancy..it was a fab trip :)

Poutpretty said...

I had great fun and ya the women are gorgeous!all peaches n cream

Poutpretty said...

Shinga is such a cute name!..Oh yes Dolo restaurant was definitely the highlight of my trip. Believe me even I've not met anyone else apart from our group who's been to Uzbek land

coralcrue said...

wow, Dolon, excellent pictures and you have really shown the beauty of the place. what perfect skin, wonder what they do hehe

Shourima Ghosh said...

the women are so beautiful! flawless skin!!!! wow!!! did u ask them their skin care routine? lol

Poutpretty said...

Genes babe..even if they don't do anything guess their skin will look like this..sighhhh

Poutpretty said...

Thanks dear..They are really gorgeous women..I want their skin!

Shikha said...

This is so beautiful, carvings and location, costumes and off course a restaurant after your name.