Thursday 11 October 2012

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter Berry Smoothie - Review & Swatch

Yes my pretties, they are finally here in India!! After making us crave for these beauties for about a year, Revlon finally launched the much awaited Colorburst Lip Butters this week. I was actually quite surprised to see them at the Revlon kiosk at the City Centre Shoppers Stop given the fact that we always get everything late in Kolkata. Thank you Revlon for treating us at par with Delhi and Mumbai and launching these at the same time.You gave me a mini heart attack with the price though. Was definitely not expecting these to be for Rs 600!

There are 12 shades out right now and each of them are so gorgeous, it's really difficult to choose which one to get. There's a great mix of pinks, reds, nudes and browns so there is a color for everyone. After swatching all 12 shades and changing my mind nearly 4 times, I finally zeroed in on this pretty muted pink berry shade, Berry Smoothie. Sorry, I couldn't take pics of the swatches to show you. The SA's did not let me :(. 


Now these lip butters are not really lipsticks. They are lip balms with the color of a lipstick so you cannot really expect them to do the job of a lipstick . Revlon says that they give sheer to medium color but they are actually lot more pigmented and gives pretty good color payoff. They contain a lot of good things - hydrating mango, shea and coconut butter formula and all of these claim to boost lip moisture by 156%. 

Packaging - The packaging of the lip butter is similar to that of the Colorburst lipstick, with the quilted pattern cap. The only difference is that the cap here is translucent resembling frosted glass. What I like is that the cap is tinted to match the color of the lipstick, similar to the Maybelline Colorsensational ones. The lip butter itself is not in the shape of a lipstick bullet though. It's a cylindrical shape similar to the MAC Pro Longwear Lip Cremes which might make application a bit of a bother, specially for those with thin lips.




Color - I picked up Berry Smoothie because I wanted a color that I could wear to work and this seemed like a perfect choice. The color is really pretty and will suit all skin tones. It's natural, its muted, does not wash me out and makes my lips look all pink and juicy. The lip butters have a faint vanilla smell but I'm kinda disappointed that Revlon didn't think of matching the fragrance with the names. I would have loved this to smell of Berry Smoothie!

Texture, Finish, Pigmentation - Now coming to the texture. It's very smooth and glides over the lips effortlessly. It's lightweight and non-sticky. The finish is shiny and glossy so lips look really juicy and plumped up. Pigmentation is pretty good as well. One swipe will give you a nice wash of color. It's definitely not opaque as a lipstick but not as sheer as a tinted balm as well. I swipe it twice to get the color I like. The wear time is decent enough for a lip balm. I get around 2 hours, after which the color fades away. There is no stain left behind. The color just goes away. 




Not So Good - So far, I've spoken about everything that I like about this particular shade. Now let's come to the part that I don't like and it's quite an irony actually. The lip butters are supposed to boost lip moisture but unfortunately, after wearing this for a couple of hours or so when the color starts to fade, my lips actually become dry. Not a Sahara desert kind of dry but dry enough to make me want to apply a balm on top. I've not tried any of the other shades but have read a lot of reviews and some of them mention that the formula of the lip butters is not really consistent and differs from shade to shade. The darker shades are more moisturising than the lighter ones and unfortunately, I picked up one that's not moisturising enough! If you have dry chapped lips, better to stay away from this shade because it will make them even more dry. Such a pity coz the color is so darn pretty! 




Verdict - Right now I have a mixed reaction to the Lip Butters. I know the entire world has raved about them and they do have a lot of pros - Great texture, yummy colors, lovely translucent finish and decent staying power. The dryness is not something I anticipated so that was a big bummer for me. I want to try out maybe one more shade in a darker color to form an opinion on whether these are worth all the hoopla and Rs 600. For Berry Smoothie, I would say you disappointed me slightly but I''ll forgive you for your pretty face :)

Have you tried any of the lip butters? Which is your favorite?

43 comments:

poorna banerjee said...

ei jaah. eki chaap dile D. Eibar to ami kinbo kinbo koreo kinbo na... btw, where did you get this one from? i.e. which outlet?

Jyotsna Bms said...

nice review Dolon... i loved the shade...

Bharti said...

In the end its over rated product. But then I myself never tried one so today I am gonna get one for myself even if I am saying that it's an over rated product LOL. Great review. That's a pretty shade :p.

SweetAndBitter said...

600 is little bit too much for something that is almost like a tinted balm...okay...a pigmented tinted balm

Shikha said...

uhh, thinking, uhh still thinking... dropped the idea to buy them :-)

Kassia Karr said...

Ooh so excited to see that these are finally here!! The ones I have I'd brought back with me from home - I'll have to run out and get some more shades! I have Pink Truffle and Tutti Frutti, Pink Truffle is an everyday go-to. Where did you buy these from?

Unknown said...

Wow..cool shade..I will buy it...nice review Dolan

Unknown said...

Wow..cool shade..I will buy it...nice review Dolan

neha mishra said...

I was thinking of trying this....but after reading that it dried out ur lips...i thnk ill pass this...
Thnx for the review... :)

Parul Solanki said...

Wohaaa 600 is a bit too much even if the texture and color are great...the drying part is a bummer

Poutpretty said...

I agree..Was expecting in the range of 400-450 :(

Poutpretty said...

Ive read some great reviews about shades like Candy apple, cherry tart so mayb the prob is with this one..so weird!

Poutpretty said...

I bought it from Shoppers Stop but they should be available everywhere now..the shades are so pretty

Poutpretty said...

Lol..im so tempted by the shades though..mayb will try one more to see if tht's drying too

Poutpretty said...

Yep..price is too much. Pigmentation is more than a lip balm though

Poutpretty said...

Thanks dear...shade is really lovely!

Poutpretty said...

Ekta kine try koro nahoi..go for the darker shades and see..got from Shoppers Stop, City C :)

Shikha said...

True shade is too tempting.

Niesha said...

Gorgeous shade!!
even i was expecting them to be around 500.

Lancy said...

The shade looks amazing dolon :D

Preethi Prasad said...

i have candy apple and peach one...both r good..u can try them...btw..love the review

Dolon said...

Thanks Preethi.. they ok then? Not drying?

Dolon said...

It really is sooo pretty Lancy..perfect pinky nude

Dolon said...

Let me know which one you tried and if it's drying as well :)

Dolon said...

Ya..why is everyone hiking the prices nowadays!! No liking at all!

tejinder said...

beautiful shade...i will buy it defnitely..

Poutpretty said...

It really is pretty Tej..will look lovely on you :)

Nafisa said...

This one may be drying coz of the shimmer content. Try one widout it. Gorgeous shade though...love it!!

neha mishra said...

kk......but i wudn't wanna take any risk.... coz the price is kinda high...... :)

Bharti said...

Just 2hrs back I picked up CHERRY TART for myself after trying out all the shades of lip butters on my lips. I just opened my brand new lip butter and kind of disappointed that only this much of quantity of product you get. My finale verdict will be when I do the review of it later after a week or so.

poorna banerjee said...

I will.. thinking of buying one but unsure of the shade. Tutti Frutti ki esche??

Apoorva Writes said...

love the color and drying thingy.. :( no way.. coz i already have dry lips and i guess im not buying them!!

Dolon said...

Cherry Tart is a lovely shade. Even I'm disappointed by the quantity specially considering the price. Will wait for your review :)

Dolon said...

Yep..all shades eshe geche

Dolon said...

Ya Naf..the shimmer is hardly visible though..Will try one of the reds. Everyone seems to be raving about them

Dolon said...

Try the reds and darker colors if you want to. Heard they are pretty good.

poorna banerjee said...

just bought it. You, woman, are a menace to my shopping budget.

Dolon said...

Lol..which one did you get?

poorna banerjee said...

there were 15 shades. I got Tutti Frutti.

Jennifer said...

nice review, nice color.... but why so pricey.... nowadays, companies feel that they 'need' to hike their price even if there is no particular reason...

NidsGautam said...

nice shade.. but i was waiting for the lip swatches

Aarthi said...

I want to buy atleast 3 of these.. :p

Poutpretty said...

Lol..which shades?