Thursday 6 September 2012

Hair Care Rules and How Bad is it To Break Them?


Last weekend I had gone to the salon to get a hair spa done.The stylist who was working on my hair asked me how many times I shampoo in a week? I replied that I shampoo every day, else my hair becomes limp and I hate that. She looked alarmed and told me no no don't do that. You are stripping your hair of all natural oils and only making it drier and rougher. Just shampoo every alternate day. 

Now I had read somewhere that its perfectly fine to wash hair everyday, there is no damage. Got confused on what to follow therefore turned to my trusted google to give me some information on hair care rules. I looked up the most common hair rules that we have been subjected to for ages and whether they hold any value or not. The below post is a compilation of the information that I found on the net. I'm no stylist or trichologist but think that they make a lot of sense.

Wash your hair everyday? - In one of the articles I read, Emmy award winning stylist, Curt Darling compares over washing hair to over washing a favorite piece of clothing; if you were to wash your favorite shirt every day, it would fade and become threadbare. "The fabric of your hair is the same in that it gets worked out and dry from over cleansing," he says. The tone of your hair can also fade, causing your strands to look dull and drab.
Bottom Line: Horrible

Not get Regular Haircuts? Most stylists recommend getting a haircut after every six weeks to keep hair healthy and free of split ends. Besides  "A great haircut is the foundation of everyday style," Darling says. Cuts can usually last about six weeks, but it depends on the style and texture of hair, along with other influences. If hair is subjected to chemical treatments and heat pretty often, it's important to trim the ends regularly. If not, a gap of 8-9 weeks is good enough. 
Bottom Line: Pretty Bad

Use hot tools (like blow-dryers and straighteners) every day? Like washing hair too often, using hot tools on hair will wear it out and drastically drain its moisture. If you absolutely can't let go of the hot tools, just use them every alternate day to prevent waking up to "jharu hair" At least you are cutting down your need to use hot tools in half. 
Bottom Line: Terrible


Color your hair? It may seem like the worst possible thing to do your hair, but Darling maintains that hair color isn't the monster it's made out to be. "When hair is colored by a highly skilled stylist, great results can be had with minimal damage to the hair," he says. Make sure that the color is done by a professional and that you use the right products afterwards to properly care for your locks. 
Bottom Line: Not too bad

I'm definitely not shampooing every day now. What about you? Any hair care rules you are guilty of breaking? 

Images sourced from the net

15 comments:

Nivedita said...

Yes I was treading on similar paths of shampooing my hair daily, till I curbed myself for good! :D

Dolon said...

Better late than never :D

Pranali said...

i have oily scalp too. the plain logic is- the more u wash ur hair to get rid of the oils and grease,the more the scalp releases sebum to maintain its nature moisture! its similar with the skin- the more u cleanse/wash it, the more oil it will produce!

Pranali said...

*natural

Unknown said...

Right! And I used to think im doing my hair a big favor by washing everyday!!

Ruby Parmar said...

I hv nt got a hair cut for almost 4 months nw...since i wanted to grow out my hair a bit :(

Dolon said...

better to get a trim regularly.. I do that too..just snap off the dry end split ends

Chinnu said...

i also did the same everyday shampoo for one year... my hair became about two three shades lighter... yikes... i stopped thankfully...

Poutpretty said...

Oh no! Ya good you stopped..i did too

Preethi Prasad said...

yipeee...followed u...

poorna banerjee said...

yiks. I know what you mean about shampooing everyday. I have stopped and now shampoo once every three days, and condition and oil. I got major hair issues a while back, and this was the only way out.

Dolon said...

Greattt...thanks :)

Dolon said...

I do it once every 2 days now...no wonder my hair became all dry :(

Emerald Coppersprite said...

I used to shampoo daily and my hair turned from silky smooth to frizzy. Now, I have cut it down to 2-3 times a week :(

julieanderson said...

I hope using shampoos daily will lead to hair fall.More over if you want to use the shampoo use the less PH value soaps.Really good blog.
Haircare:” http://www.haircarebeautyzone.com/”