Sunday 9 March 2014

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream - Review

Kiehl's is a brand that I've been wanting to try for ages and when they opened their first store in Kolkata about two months back, I was a very happy woman. I picked up quite a few products and samples from the store last month and they are basically all that I've been using on my skin. Will review each of them separately but today it's the turn of the Ultra Facial Cream.

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream

Kiehl's describes the Ultra Facial Cream as ' 24-hour, light-textured daily hydrator leaves skin comfortable and well-balanced, particularly in harsh weather conditions. Made with Antarcticine, a Glycoprotein extracted from microorganisms sourced from sea glaciers and notable for an ability to protect skin from cold air as well as Imperata Cylindrica, a plant indigenous to the Australian desert that possesses superb water retention properties in dry conditions. Reduces moisture loss while drawing and absorbing moisture from the air'.

Key Ingredients - Water, Glycerin, Squalane (a key ingredient of a lot of Kiehl's products), Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Sucrose Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol. From what I saw in google, all of these are extremely good humectants and emollients to give great hydration. 

Price - Rs 1900 for 50 ml


From the description, you can easily make out that this cream is targeted specially for those with normal-dry skin. I fall in that category and that's the reason I picked it up. This cream is one of the top ten Kiehl's products across the world and is an extremely popular one. From the tub, I also got to know that Kiehl's partnered with the team of the "Greenland First Ascent" expedition in 2005 to lend support and protection from the elements. So if it is the cream of choice for someone making an expedition to Greenland, it's gotta be good, right?


When it comes to skincare and makeup for the face, I hate anything that has fragrance. Kiehl's products are fragrance free, tested by dermatologists and extremely gentle on the skin. The packaging of the products is very simple and straightforward 'which speaks to the old apothecary concept'. In terms of skincare, they have about ten collections which includes Midnight Recovery, Blue Herbal etc and the Ultra Facial cream belongs to the Ultra Facial Collection of products.


What I love about the cream is that its extremely light and just disappears into the skin without leaving any residue behind. When we first hear of the term cream, we immediately connect it to winter and to something very rich, greasy and heavy. This product is so light that it can be used at any time of the year irrespective of whether you live in humid or dry weather conditions. All of Kiehl's products  rely on the 'less is more' theory so you need very little of the cream to work its magic. I apply it in place of my moisturizer during the day and I'm sorted for the next 12 hours till I apply my Midnight Recovery Concentrate at night, also from Kiehl's. I have not faced any breakouts or irritation on my skin after I started using the cream and I think I'm hooked!


If you are looking for a product that is light yet offers great hydration, I would definitely recommend the Ultra Facial Cream. Kiehl's is a premium brand and is therefore more expensive but again, their products do work and this is an old, tried and tested and loved formula across the world. Each Kiehl's store offers samples to try out so do take a few and check whether this product works for you. I'm sure it will and you will love it!

Have you tried any Kiehl's product? Which is your favorite?


No comments: