Monday 18 February 2013

Black Smokey Eyes with MAC's Scarlet Ibis lipstick - FOTD

Hey Pretties

Today I was playing around with colors in the evening and decided to try out a really black smokey eye look. Now going by makeup rules, smokey eyes are best paired with nude lips but I've never been one to follow rules, so out came my bright orange-red MAC Scarlet Ibis lipstick. For the eyes, I first covered my entire lid up to the crease with the Colorbar ultimate liner and once done, patted black eye shadow on top of it to diffuse the starkness and give that smokey look. I used Maybelline's Colossal Kajal to line the waterline and also applied the black eye shadow on top of the kajal. Skipped the liner on top and mascara but if you want to try this and really glam up your look, line the upper lids and give your lashes a good coating of mascara. 



For the lips, I applied two swipes of Scarlet Ibis to really pack on the color and that's it. Did not use a lip liner or a lip brush. Since I was only experimenting at home, my face was absolutely bare except for moisturizer. 

This is a look that is definitely not subtle and one that will make you stand out. If you want to try it for a night out, first use an eye primer else there is a chance that the shadow will go all over the place leaving you with raccoon eyes. Keep the face makeup minimal so that attention is only on the eyes and lips. Just use foundation and concealer only where you need to and blend well. A nude blush on the cheeks and add in a bit of highlighter but make sure it has absolutely no glitter. I would recommend the Colorbar highlighter pen or the highlighter in Sleek's Face Form palette. Both are really good and give the face a lovely glow. That's really all that you need. Instant glamour in 10 mins! I went in for an orange red lip but this will look equally good with a fuchsia or a hot pink. MAC's Girl About Town, Impassioned, Revlon Colorburst Fuchsia, L'oreal's Intense Fuchsia, Colorbar's Oh My Magenta are some good options.  

Here's how I looked pairing Scarlet Ibis with a black smokey eye..



And the products used:

1. NYX I Dream Of Jamaica palette
2. Colorbar Ultimate Liner
3. Maybelline Colossal Kajal
4. MAC Scarlet Ibis lipstick



How do you wear a smokey eye? With nude lipstick or a bright one?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never done a full-on dark smokey till now...always a partial smokey with gold/bronze etc on the center and inner lids. And generally nude/muted lippie with that.
Your look is literally smoking hot! Love scarlet ibis...such a gorgeous colour :)

Goga said...

You look very pretty. I have nt tried authentic smokey eyes ever. I feel I d look weird. Gotta give it a try soon :-)