The Pujas are over, the Mother has gone back to her abode with her children and life in Kolkata is slowly and steadily getting back to normal. The past week, I have enjoyed to the hilt. Stuffed myself with delicious food and sweets paying no heed to calories, was up practically every night till 4.00 am chatting with friends or pandal hopping, got only about 3-4 hrs of sleep everyday, applied more makeup than usual, was out in the sun for a long time...basically I put my skin through a lot of torture!. My skin thankfully was very well behaved during these days but yesterday it just gave up and said Enough! Do not punish me anymore! I can't take it! The result? About 3-4 huge pimples all over my face!
Now I don't have oily skin so have not faced the problem of acne much. Whenever my skin breaks out, I know it's probably because I've subjected it to some extreme conditions. There are a number of culprits responsible for breakouts and its not just due to oily skin. I came across an article on the net that explained the reasons very well and I thought I would share them with you. I'm no dermatologist, just sharing good to know facts.
Keep reading to know the 15 Reasons Why You're Breaking Out and What To Do About it...
1. You are not cleaning your brushes - If you want a clear complexion, make sure to give those brushes a thorough rinse regularly. Else, the dirty brushes will transfer bacteria to your face causing breakouts.
2. It's in your Genes - A 2002 British study suggests that 81 percent of acne can be attributed to genetic factors rather than environmental ones. File this one under "not your fault."
3. You Work Out - Sweat itself doesn't cause breakouts, but it can mix with oils in your pores — and that can lead to acne. When showering after a workout, use a body wash with salicylic acid to keep pores clean.
4. Its That Time of The Month - Hormones called androgens overstimulate the skin's oil glands, which frequently leads to a breakout around menstruation. Some women find relief by going on oral contraceptives — aka the Pill — but you'll need to discuss the benefits and risks with your doctor.
5. You are Picking at your Face - Picking at your skin introduces more germs, increases the chances of scarring, and can increase inflammation — which means more breakouts.
6. Its the Weather - Changing climates and seasonal shifts might be the cause of your breakout. If you've recently moved or have taken a vacation, see an aesthetician or dermatologist. Usually they'll be able to help your skin get back to normal.
7. You Need More Sleep - Not sleeping enough inflicts stress on the body, which raises levels of cortisol, the so-called "stress hormone." In turn, cortisol creates breakouts. Aim for eight hours of sleep per night.
8. You're Travelling - Along with lousy peanuts and security lines, frequent fliers have one more thing to look forward to: acne. The air in planes is very dry, which can trick your skin into producing even more oil. If you have to be up in the air, pack a noncomedogenic moisturizer in your carry-on.
9. You're a Bundle of Nerves - Ever notice how your skin seems to break out right before a big event like a job interview? It's not a coincidence. Simply put, stress is terrible for your body — and that includes your skin. While completely avoiding stress is impossible, you can improve your skin (and overall well-being) by meditating, relaxing, spending time with animals, or doing anything else that calms you.
10. Your Diet is Breaking You Out - Want to change your skin? Change your diet. Eliminating dairy, caffeine, peanuts, seaweed, fried and salty food, sugar, and soy can lead to clearer skin. Good-for-your-skin foods include salmon, dark leafy greens like kale, and antioxidant-rich green tea. Give it a month and see what happens. After all, you are what you eat.
11. Products are Clogging Your Pores - Comedogenic ingredients build up in pores, and unfortunately, they're in plenty of beauty products. Looking for products with "noncomedogenic" labels is a good place to start.
12. You're Washing Too Much or Not Enough - Cleansing your face of sebum, makeup, and dirt is important. Some acne sufferers, however, believe that washing more frequently will lead to better skin. Not so! Cleansing in the morning and evening is all that's necessary. Any more than that, and you could irritate or dry out your skin.
13. You Go to Bed with Makeup On - Hitting the sack without washing your face is a surefire way to trigger a breakout. If you're too exhausted to do a full skin care routine, get the worst of it off with a cleansing wipe.
14. You're not using Effective Treatments - Unfortunately, cleansing your face isn't enough to make acne flee. To battle pimples, you'll need ammunition in the form of over-the-counter or prescription treatments. Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria that causes acne, so it's highly effective as a preventative measure. Likewise, salicylic acid can keep pores from clogging. But do check with your doctor before taking these.
15. You're Pregnant - For some women, a baby on the way means acne in the here and now. Progesterone increases during pregnancy, which can affect the skin's oil levels. While several safe treatment options exist, others such as Accutane and tetracycline can cause birth defects. To be safe, talk with your obstetrician before embarking on a new skin care routine.
Hope you found the post helpful..I sure did !
Images sourced from google. Article extracted from bellasugar