Monday 30 September 2013

MAC Candy Yum Yum Matte Lipstick - Review, Swatches

In my eternal quest to lose weight, I am again on a diet. Well not really a diet per se but just trying to eat healthy and limit my intake of fried foods and sugary treats. And believe me it's a pain! Everytime I see a chocolate cake, my heart goes 'Oooo yess grab it' and my head goes, 'that's 500 calories you dimwit. Put it back'!! So basically candies and chocolates are a big no no for me now. But what I am going to indulge in shamelessly is this new candy in town. MAC's brand new addition to the line of permanent lipsticks in India - Candy Yum Yum!



This is not really 100% new. It's been around for long and launched in LE collections earlier. Last year it earned itself a place in the permanent lineup in the US and ever since I saw the pictures, I've been craving for it. The color is a neon magenta pink with cool blue undertones and believe me this baby is BRIGHT. Party Parrot, Pink Pigeon, Impassioned are actually babies in front of this. You need to grab attention, two swipes of Candy Yum Yum will do the work for you.


The color is gorgeous but it needs some work to make it look gorgeous. You have to exfoliate your lips before wearing the lipstick else it will latch on to the dry bits, make every lip line very prominent and start flaking away very soon. Even though this is a matte finish, I did not find it to be particularly drying. There is a creaminess to the texture that makes it very comfortable to wear. Even though the color is so bright, it does not really go opaque in one swipe. You will need a couple to cover your lips completely. Candy Yum Yum lasts for about 6 hours and leaves a bright pink stain on fading which looks very pretty as well.


This is a color that looks scary in the tube but on the lips is fab! Even though this has blue undertones, I feel it will look best on darker skin tones than on the fairer ones. When you are wearing this, make sure only your lips are in focus. Keep the rest of the makeup to a minimum. A winged liner, a wash of light color on the lids, a light blush, neon pink lips and you are out to rule the world.


This is how the color looks on me. My camera absolutely refused to capture the gorgeousness of the shade in its entirety and I dunno why the blue undertones are so prominent when it's actually a lot pink. I clicked nearly 20 pics, got frustrated and did not have the energy to click more. So here's the best of the lot.




Pssst....a very very close dupe of Candy Yum Yum is the Maybelline Vivids in Fuchsia Flash. Saw the pictures online and they look exactly the same just with a different finish. But then Maybelline refuses to launch the Vivids in India God knows why so if you can't get the Vivids, your best bet is to go buy the MAC original for Rs 990. Check out and see the "lipstick dreams were made of"!

Do you like wearing bright lip colors? What's your favorite?


No comments: